Monday 6 January 2014

Cultural Wasteman


New Year. New blog.

I'm out of the habit on the TV reviewing circuit but I have several resolutions to upkeep in 2014.

Firstly, as an avid fan of American television yet someone who very much lives in the dreary, rainy North of Britain I'm going to attempt to view more British television. I missed everyone's favourite mystery drama Broadchurch as it aired last year and only caught up some months later. I missed that fantastic drama and all the watercooler conversations speculating 'whodunit' at the time, that won't be a problem this year. I'm starting up with BBC1's "The 7.39" a drama about two rail commuters who begin to fall for each other in the short time they spend with each other travelling to work each day. I'd review Sherlock but I'm sure that's fairly thoroughly covered by the entire rest of the internet and analysed down to every frame via a multitude of blogs and the avid gif posters of Tumblr.

Secondly, I want to revisit TV shows I've loved earlier in my life with a more critical eye. My sixteen year old self was enamoured with television such as The O.C. and Nip/Tuck alongside shows that still deservedly have critical praise poured on them today such as Six Feet Under and my everlasting favourite Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The first season of The O.C. is one of my favourite first seasons of any show I've seen and I'd attest is brilliant, exciting, adrenaline fuelled fun with strong writing and great performances. It also undoubtedly was and is a major influence on big hits of recent years that seem to use similar fast burning story engines the power their plots such as Scandal, Revenge, The Vampire Diaries and current favourite The Good Wife.

Finally, I just want to write more. Welcome. Stop me if I ramble.



No comments:

Post a Comment